Best Metal Detectors for Finding Gold
If you are planning to buy the best gold metal detector, numerous factors should be taken into account. A few important points of consideration before getting a detector are given below.
While buying a metal detector, brands play an important role. It is unlikely that you’ll get an excellent metal detector from the less popular brands. Only the brands which are famous for manufacturing this product such as Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher, and Viper can provide you with exceptional performance and incredible results.
It is important to pre-decide where you’re going to use your metal detector. For instance, if you want it to search metals in dry areas such as parks, yards and playgrounds, you could purchase an all-purpose detector. If you want to use it near lakes or the seaside, go for the one with a waterproof housing and search coil.
A variety of features can help you decide the best gold detector. It should be waterproof and able to search deeper, vibrate or make a sound when the target reaches nearer, and search grain-sized metals. Also, it should operate automatically and manually and give highly accurate results even when the area is filled with trash targets. It should also have essential accessories like batteries and headphones.
Weight like other factors is an important thing to consider. The best gold metal detector should have an appropriate weight. When you search for metals for long hours, your hands become drained and stressed because of the heavy load. Always go for those detectors that have a reasonable weight. If it also comes with an armrest, it is a plus point.
This factor entirely depends on you. If you want to buy a high-quality professional detector, surely it’s not going to be cheap. If you want it just for searching treasure at the beach, there are many moderately priced devices available that can do the job, so there is no need to waste your money. Or if you are already looking for a low-priced detector, you will have to sacrifice some of the features and look one up in your desired price range.
If you are still unable to pick the best gold detector, below we have accumulated the features, pros, cons, and prices of the five best metal detectors for gold to help you take a decision.
Short Review of The Best Ones
1. Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector
- It has a weatherproof housing which allows it to work in any weather conditions such as wet, dusty, and humid.
- Digital Target ID scale, which ranges from 0 to 99, provides the ability to differentiate various targets’ conductivity.
- The Proportional and Tone Roll Audio provides a better sound of the characteristics of a target.
- High-Res Iron Discrimination helps provide the precise result by separating the real target from the trash.
- Fast-recovery feature for picking up good targets instantly.
- The 15 kHz frequency improves the detection of gold nuggets, jewelry, and other small targets.
- Depth indicator recurrently exhibits the depth of coin-sized metals.
- Ground balance makes it adjustable for improved performance automatically and manually both.
- The discrimination patterns or search modes allows users to select from Zero, Coins, or Custom in either Standard or Professional Mode.
- This metal detector is fully waterproof.
- The large coil provides more precise results.
- The iron audio assists users in finding real metals among trashy targets.
- Target identification gives higher chances of detecting items before digging.
- It comes with a two-year warranty.
- The headphones aren’t waterproof.
The price is $859.85, and it falls into the category of high-priced products.
The Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector combines the sleek design with excellent performance. It is intended to provide better and easier detection of even hard-to-find targets. It is no doubt one of the finest metal detectors available.
2. Fisher Gold Bug Metal Detector
- Lightweight design, weighs only 2.5 lbs with the best ergonomics.
- Two search modes: All-Metal mode and Discrimination mode.
- Large LCD screen displays numeric target identification with a range of 0 to 99, making it an ideal and all-around machine.
- Industry’s first Variable Breakpoint (V-Break) tone discrimination system.
- Threshold and gain adjustments.
- Automatic ground balance and ground grab that can handle the toughest ground mineralization.
- Super sensitivity improves the outcome of detecting nuggets.
- 1/4 and 1/8-inch dual headphone jacks that can work with any headphones.
- Running signal strength indicator and depth readout provides excellent findings of the deepest targets.
- Works with a 19 kHz operation frequency.
- Requires a 9-volt battery.
- User-friendly metal detector.
- Quickly picks up the signals of grain-sized gold nuggets.
- Large LCD which provides better readability and immediate access to the entire menu options which are available in the machine.
- Excellent automatic ground balance adjustments.
- Priced moderately.
- Less discrimination features as compared to other metal detectors.
- Lacks manual ground balance adjustments.
The list price of this detector is $549 and is currently at a discount of $50, making it cost $499 only. It is a moderately priced product.
The Fisher Gold Bug Metal Detector is the perfect tool when it comes to customers with a moderate budget. Nonetheless, it still offers fewer features than other reasonably or high priced metal detectors available in the market.
3. Bounty Hunter Discovery 3300 Metal Detector
- Pinpointer for providing exact location and deepest seeking detection.
- One-Touch Zap which helps eliminate unwanted finds.
- Touch sensitivity and touch discrimination control.
- Three-digit digital numeric target value and four-tone audio feedback.
- Supports three modes of operation which are motion all-metal, notch and pinpoint and progressive discrimination.
- Depth coin indicator allowing for detecting metals in deep ground.
- Up to ten-inch interchangeable waterproof coil system for easy detection of targets in shallow water or damp grass.
- Comes with a five-year limited warranty.
- Requires two nine-volt alkaline batteries to operate.
- Adjustable stem and padded armrest provide relaxation to your arms.
- Includes a headphone jack, detector stand, visual target system LCD screen, and digital eleven-segment target ID.
- The pinpoint mode helps locate the precise place.
- A lightweight detector, weighing only 2.6 pounds.
- The headphone jack can work with most headphones.
- Large and user-friendly LCD.
- Some people, especially those who haven’t use a metal detector before, may find it a bit too complicated to use.
Its price is $299.99 and is currently available at a 29% discount, making it cost $213.73 only. It ranges from a low to moderately priced product.
Most of its attributes are found only in those metal detectors that are expensive. The only issue is that if this detector is your first one, there is a learning curve, but once you master its complex functions, you’ll surely be satisfied.
4. Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector
- Rugged metal detector allows for searching treasure even in extreme conditions.
- An eight-inch waterproof and interchangeable search coil allow detecting deeper targets.
- Preset ground balance counteracts response to mineral content.
- Disc/Notch control helps in differentiating between unwanted and useful metals.
- A ¼ inch headphone jack. Headphones aren’t included.
- Three-position mode switch includes motion all-metal mode, two-tone audio mode, and discrimination mode.
- More features include adjustable height design, detector stand, low battery indicator, and a padded armrest.
- Comes with a five-year limited warranty.
- Runs on two 9-volt alkaline batteries. Batteries aren’t included.
- Lightweight metal detector.
- Five-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
- Three-position mode switch helps in searching real targets conveniently.
- Search coil is eight-inch long, waterproof, and interchangeable, providing easy detection of deeper targets.
- Usable in most of the types of different terrains.
- There is no digital target ID, pinpointing, or volume control in this detector.
The list price of this detector is $129.95 and is currently at a 33% discount, making it cost only $87.37. It is a low-priced product.
It might not be the best detector, but it is a good one. If you want to buy a metal detector that is cheap and user-friendly, you should purchase this one. A distinct advantage of buying this detector is that it comes with a five-year manufacturer’s warranty, which is higher as compared to other metal detectors that only give two years of warranty.
5. Bounty Hunter TIMERANGER Time Ranger Metal Detector
- A lightweight machine that weighs only 4.9 pounds.
- Supports a professional four-mode operation which makes it perfect to use on all surfaces and any condition.
- Ground balance adjustments and monitoring system.
- Eight-inch bounty D tech fully submersible search coil.
- Programmable notching system and touchpad.
- Multi-functional LCD, a speaker, and headphone jack.
- Three-tone audio discrimination for better and clear voice.
- Four-level iron discrimination for precise differentiating between iron and trashy targets.
- Two nine-volt alkaline batteries required for functioning.
- Because of its light weight, users can carry it anywhere they like easily.
- It has a comfortable grip and an arm-width adjustment, making it very easy to hold and handle.
- It comes with an external speaker and headphone jack.
- It provides an excellent level of precision for the users.
- The multifunctional LCD screen provides all the required information.
- The coin depth indicator helps find out metals that are buried deep under the ground.
- Despite all the pros, this metal detector is a professional one, which means that average or new users might take some time getting used to it.
Its price is $194.38, and it falls into the category of low to moderately priced products.
The Bounty Hunter TIMERAGER Metal Detector is a very convenient product that delivers excellent and appropriate results. It has a lot of great features which provides various benefits during metal hunting, making this detector worth your money.
Out of all of the detectors that we have mentioned above, the best one is undoubtedly Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector. There are numerous reasons which justify why it is the best gold metal detector. The prime reason is that it is solely designed to make metal detection easier for the average user.
You can quickly find difficult targets because of its static detection that lowers the recovery time. It supports one-touch functions that improve precision and minimizes time spent metal hunting. Nevertheless, it also comes with a scalping blade for searching the soil. The audible, vibrating alarms maximize in magnitude and intensity when you approach the target.
Also, the LED light makes it easier to read the display in low lighting. The pinpointer works remarkably and allows you to search the walls and close-fitted spaces. Besides, it is waterproof, so you don’t have to worry about searching target in areas with damp grass or water.
Moreover, the package includes woven belt holster, owner’s manual, buyers’ guide, bag, pouch, digging knife, cover, hat, and a nine-volt battery. It is surely a high-quality detector that provides high-level performance. Looking at the accessories that come with it, it is unquestionably worth the money and proves to be the best gold detector.
Best Value/Best Gold Metal Detector for the Money
If you are looking for the best gold metal detector that is budget- friendly, the Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector is the one you should buy. Considering the amount of money you have to pay for it, this metal detector does possess a remarkable list of features. Moreover, it comes with a five-year warranty that even most of the expensive metal detectors are unable to provide.
Because of TK4, looking for treasure on non-conducive grounds has become easier. You can effortlessly search for your target metal anywhere you want, whether on a beach or inland sites. No doubt, this metal detector is extremely easy to use. It features three detector modes that help eliminate the trash targets which you don’t want. Besides, the two tones assist you in differentiating between valuable and undesirable items.
Another exceptional characteristic is that it comes with a ¼-inch headphone jack that is suitable for most of the headphones available in the market. The good thing is that it can search for targets buried eight inches under the ground. All the mentioned features make it one of the best metal detectors for gold, which is available at a very reasonable price i.e. only 129.95 dollars.